Monday, March 2, 2009

First post

So this is the first post on my new blog.

The hardest thing about starting this blog was coming up with a name for it, because … well there really isn’t a point to this. It will probably end up being a random collection of bits and pieces, so I thought it would be a good idea to pick a random word for the name. After a few minutes of trying to think of a random word without success I decided (in typical nerd fashion) to try and automate the process using bash. With a little mucking around, this is the command I came up with to pick a random word from the dictionary (let me know if you can think of a better way):

awk “FNR == $(( $RANDOM * `wc -l /usr/share/dict/words| awk ‘{print $1}’` / 32768 ))” /usr/share/dict/words

And sure enough, the first word that came out of this was nonspeaking, which I thought was pretty cool … and here we are. Stay tuned for (hopefully) interesting tidbits and learnings from my various half finished projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment